Remember when video game collector’s editions only cost $10 bucks more than the regular, non-limited edition? I’m not sure who decided that video games even need a limited edition, honestly. Walking into Best Buy yesterday, I noticed many older ones, like Quantum of Solace, Call of Duty, and even Halo 3, still sitting on the shelves. Resident Evil 5‘s special edition seems to still be easy to get too.
Still, there are some pretty cool special editions coming up for the new Ghostbusters video game, and Batman: Arkham Asylum, if you can afford them. They definitely cost over $10 more than the regular edition and, in the case of Ghostbusters, it actually costs MORE THAN DOUBLE the original cost of the game. Check out more details on the sets after the jump!
Ghostbusters – The Amazon Exclusive Slimer Edition, comes out June 16th, with the ball-busting price tag of $129.99. What does Amazon say about it?
Who You Gonna Call?
The Ghostbusters are back in an all-new story penned by the original creators. With Manhattan newly overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, it’s up to you to take on the role of a new recruit joining the original film cast of the famous Ghostbusters team. Equipped with a variety of unique weapons and gadgets, you will hunt, fight, and capture a wide range of uncanny phantasms and demons in an all-new funny and frightening battle to save New York City from its latest paranormal plague.
- Based on the classic Ghostbusters films and features the original cast
- Head out with unique weapons and gadgets
- Battle an incredible variety of supernatural foes
- Move through New York City and stop eerie enemies
- Become part of the famous paranormal ghostbusting team
Included in the Slimer Edition:
- An exclusive 10″ Slimer bust designed and created by the original movie sculptor, Steve Johnson. Comes complete with a certificate of authenticity signed by the sculptor himself.
- Exclusive Ghostbusters Minimates. Only be available with the Slimer Edition.
- Exclusive Ghostbusters Gamer Graffix Console Skins.
- Exclusive Ecto 1 Key Chain with lights and sound.
Cast from the Original Films
Ghostbusters: The Video Game features the original film cast from the classic Ghostbusters films, including Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. Aykroyd and Ramis also return to write the script and storyline for the game. Enter an exciting gameplay environment that authentically recreates the whimsical time period of the film and expands the lore and supernatural events that seemingly plague New York City.
Is all of that worth an additional $70? Hard to say … I’m guessing we’re paying more for the Slimer bust than anything else, but it bums me out that we get all this miscellaneous crap, and not a making of – this project went through a bunch of different developers (remember the Gears of War clone?) and a ton of effort to get all of the original cast members. A DVD bonus would have been nice. Especially for $70 bucks worth of toys, keychains, and plastic crap to put on my console.
Still pricey, but much more worth it IMHO, is the Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector’s Edition. What comes with this bad boy for $94.99?
- Waynetech Batarang Storage Box.
- 14″ In-Game Design Batarang (stand attached).
- Dr. Young’s Journal (50 page full color character encyclopedia).
- 2 Sleeve DIGI-Pack Including:
- Behind the scenes 5 chapter series DVD, including: interviews with Mark Hammil and Kevin Conroy.
- Exclusive Collector’s Edition Challenge Map DLC.
I’m sure I could do a ton of damage with a 14″ Batarang. I’ll probably miss my cats after they’re gone, but the opportunity to have batarang target practice might be too good to pass up. A full color character encyclopedia is pretty sweet. Not sure why the game and the manual qualify as special features, but oh well, at least we get a nice behind the scenes DVD. My main question….no damn comic book? It’s a Batman game, there should be a comic book included! Ugh.
Batman: Arkham Asylum ships 6/23/2009. Guessing on the prices and the fact that they’re only a week apart, unless you’re made of money…choose wisely! Buy them using our Amazon links below!