On day two of my Pauloween Horror Nights excursion to Orlando, Fl, I decided to hit Google and see what comic shops I could find. I always like to, if I have the time, see what different areas offer as far as general geekery is concerned. Little did I realize, but A COMIC SHOP was only 20 minutes from my hotel? What’s A COMIC SHOP, you might ask?
Well, in a series of articles for Newsarama (entitled “Shop of Ideas”), A Comic Shop has proven themselves one of the most forward thinking comic shops in the industry. How so?
- Their creator signings are among the best. They go all out and make a party out of it! (more here)
- No back issues! Yes, you heard me. They get rid of them, using them to instead help promote the shop. Or selling them at hugely discounted rates! For example, I picked up…
- A 2-pack of Wolverine back issues (73-74) for $2.95. SIGNED BY JASON AARON!
- Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven’s First Hunt Hardcover, collecting issues 564-677 of ASM, for $10!
- Mighty Avengers 21-34 for $2.95
- Agents of Atlas #1-5 for $5.95!
Read after the jump for more A Comic Shop awesomeness, and a chance to win a FREE SIGNED COMIC BOOK!
- FanFix, a graphic novel RENTAL SERVICE! Yes, that’s right! Not sure what to read, or have a hard time finding the right place to start a storyline? Or just trying to save money on your comic purchases? Rent graphic novels for 70% off of their cover price, or trade in your graphic novels for points towards future rentals! Like the book you bought? Buy a new copy for 30% off the cover price!
- Contests! Currently the store is running a Dark Reign: The List contest. Buy all 8 issues and enter for a chance to win 8 Frank Cho variants! Details here.
- Their manifesto:
- We are in love with comics.
- Entertainment not investment.
- Comics are for everyone.
- Independently owned.
- Comic lifestle.
- Student discounts!
- Every single Wednesday, new comics are 15% for EVERYONE! Shit, and I won’t be able to go until Thursday!
- Their bathroom. Trust me (and check out the pics using the link below).
Eric Punzone behind the counter was nice enough to let me snap a bunch of pictures of the store. Check them all out here!
Read more about A Comic Shop, and find out where they’re located in Winter Park, at their official site! If you’re in the Orlando/Winter Park area, or visting the area, make sure to bring a credit card and plenty of time to look around at the awesome selection!
Oh, and CONTEST!!!! Yup, saved it to the end … want to win a copy of Wolverine: Weapon X #1, not only signed by writer Jason Aaron, but also with Jason Aaron writing “I donated my cock to science” above Wolverine’s head (seriously)? Post the name and location of your favorite comic shop in the talkback below!
Update: Contest ends 10/31/09 at midnight EST!