Now don’t get me wrong … I love a game of Cards Against Humanity just as much as the next geek, but I know I, for one, am ready for something a little different. So what the hell is Exploding Kittens?
On January 20, 2015, 10 AM PST creators Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal), Elan Lee, and Shane Small launched Exploding Kittens on Kickstarter hoping to raise $10K in 30 days. In just 20 minutes, their goal was complete. By the end of their campaign they had raised more than $8.7 million dollars from over 219,000 backers.
Exploding Kittens is a highly strategic kitty-powered version of Russian Roulette. Players try to avoid drawing Exploding Kittens (which eliminate them from the game) using tools like catnip sandwiches, deploying special-ops bunnies, and seeking out the wisdom of an all-seeing goat wizard. The game is kid-friendly, super fun, and easy to learn. It’s a fast- paced party game perfect for family game night or as an anytime boredom buster.
GEEK FAMILY FRIENDLY?
The original box components are, in fact, family friendly. I mean…a little sick, but family friendly. There is a NSFW add-on that you can get for that inevitable post-family time “finish off all this wine and Mad Elf beer we bought” party.
- It’s the #1 Best Selling Game on Amazon
- It’s the Most Backed Project in Kickstarter History
- It’s also got an app in the Apple Store and Google Play…you guessed it…that have been #1
- The artwork on the game is designed by The Oatmeal. Yes, that Oatmeal that all your friends like on Facebook.
- “It’s like UNO, except there are goats, magical enchiladas, and kittens that can kill you.” – CNN
HOW DO I GET IT?
The NSFW version on sale right now on Amazon.
The family friendly version can also be purchased on Amazon.