So Disney Infinty 3.0 was announced today and I’m super psyched. If you haven’t heard yet, Infinity 3.0 will focus on Star Wars, and some of the new features include…
- Three STAR WARS Play Sets – Twilight of the Republic, set during the time of the Clone Wars; Rise Against The Empire, a retelling of the original trilogy storyline; and a third play set based on the storyline of The Force Awakens.
- Tron Sam Flynn and Quorra figures (though, as of now, no Tron play set has been announced).
- A new play set based on the upcoming Pixar movie Inside Out, and Mickey and Minnie figures.
- A new Age of Ultron based play set, which includes Hulkbuster Iron Man and Ultron figures.
Since Disney starting doing Infinity, fans have been looking forward to this Star Wars release, and I’m among them. I love the idea of visiting the Star Wars universe by way of Infinity, with its unique visual style and collectibility of the figures. It’s like getting multiple new Star Wars games, and a line of new action figures to boot. I adored the Marvel Infinity, and it sounds like Disney Inifinity 3.0 will be even more advanced.
Some thoughts, based on the announcement:
- Odd the choice to focus on Clone Wars instead of Rebels. If previous Infinity releases have taught me anything, the lack of Rebels being mentioned in the announcement means that we may not get it until 4.0. That’s a bit of a bummer – I’m on a bit of a Rebels high right now (as is a lot of Star Wars fandom), so it seems great timing for that.
- Great choice to include a focus on the original trilogy in one set, and Force Awakens in another. Essentially, we get a The Force Awakens video game, despite not getting an actual specific game.
- I’m hopeful they’ll release an awesome box set like they did with the Avengers Infinity (I unboxed that here).
- Lower initial cost – $65. Previous editions, I believe, came in around $70 or $80.
- Despite my thinking Rebels would have been a better choice to start with, I am excited about the ability to play as Ahsoka Tano.
For more information, check out the Inifinity official site and the latest issue of Game Informer (you’ll see some pics from the digital issue above).